Spot Removal Steps
The following steps will help you handle accidental spills to prevent them from becoming permanent stains:
- Act Quickly! Even though most carpets today come pretreated with a stain repellant, no carpet is completely stain proof. Rapid removal of accidental spills is required to prevent your carpets from staining.
- Blot liquids using a white absorbent cloth or white non printed paper towel.
- Do not scrub! Scrubbing may cause pile disruption in the affected area. Continue to blot liquid spills with the cloth or paper towels until the area is dry. For semi solid materials, use a rounded spoon and gently scrape up the material. For solid materials break them up and vacuum until completely removed.
- Pretest any spot removal agent before use. It is important to pretest your cleaning agent on a small inconspicuous area to be certain it will not damage your carpet colors and fibers. Apply a few drops of the cleaner to the testing area and hold a white cloth on it for 10 seconds. Then remove the cloth and examine the area for color transfer, color changes or any damage to the carpet. If this occurs do not use it, try another cleaner.
- Use only a small amount of the pretested solution. The goal is to use only the amount necessary to remove the spot. Excess application can make this more difficult at best or worse cause the spot to spread. Use a small amount of the solution on a white absorbent cloth and gently work it in.
- Work from the edges of the spill toward the center to prevent spreading of the spill. Do Not Scrub, rather blot absorbing as much of the stain as possible. Repeat this as needed.
- Continue to use the same solution as long as it’s working. If the cleaner is transferring the spill to the cloth then it is working. Stick with it, you may just need repeated applications to get the stain out.
- Be patient! In order to completely remove the spill you may need to repeat the above steps several times. Do not advance to step 9 until the stain has been completely removed.
- Rinse the affected area thoroughly with cold water, and blot dry with a clean dry cloth until all the solution is removed. It is important to remove all the solution to prevent any residue from being left behind only to attract more dirt and grime later.
- Apply a one half inch layer of white paper towels to the area and weigh them down with a flat heavy object. Change these towels as needed to completely dry the area. As an alternative to cloths, a dry absorbent cleaning compound may be used to accelerate drying time.
Be prepared for accidental spills by keeping on hand our Chem-Dry World Famous Spot Remover for water-based spills and World Famous Grease and Oil Remover for oil based spots. Call us today at 561-403-3977 to order these with your next cleaning.